Your assignment is to write:
A. A one page review based on the review paper on the neuroanatomical structure called the Claustrum.
1. Edelstein L, and Frank Denaro, The Claustrum, A Historical Review, Cellular and Molecular Biology. Cellular and Molecular Biology, 2004, 50(6),675-702.
2. Edelstein, L., and Denaro, F. J., The Neurobiology of Consciousness and Sir Francis Crick. Cellular and Molecular Biology 2004 Sept., 50(6): 671-673.
3. Hinova-Palova, Dimkka, V., Lawrence Edelstein, Boycho Landzhov, Minko Minkov, Lina Malinova, Stanislav Hristov, Frank Denaro, Alexandar Alexandrov, Teodora Kiriakova. LLina Brainova, Adrian Paloff, and Wladimir Ovtscharoff, Topographical distribution and morphology of NADPH-diaphorase-stained neurons in the human Claustrum. Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience, May 2014, 8 (article 96): 1-12. www.frontiersin.org
B. Answer the questions on the neuroanatomical structure of the Claustrum:
1. What is the Claustrum?
2. What are some identified functions of the Claustrum?
3. Why do some scientists think it is involved in Consciousness?
4. Why did Francis Crick (co-discoverer of structure of DNA) think the Claustrum was involved in function of Consciousness?
See paper: “What is the function of the Claustrum?” Francis C. Crick and Christof Koch, Phil. Trans. Soc. B (2005) 360, 1271-1279. (To find this paper go to Christof Kock on Research gate or Pub med)
5. What is some of the current research on the Claustrum? Explain in a brief paragraph what investigators are now looking for in the Claustrum.
6. From a human perspective, what do you think understanding Conscious will mean to us?
For information on this topic, you can read several papers on the claustrum. You can find these papers on the Research gate web page.
1. Go to ResearchGate.com (https://www.researchgate)
2. Sign in (it is free).
3. Where it says “Search” in the upper right click, then click: “researcher”. Type in name: Frank Denaro
4. That brings you to the ResearchGate main web page.
5. On that web page you can find the papers on the Claustrum. The papers are in the over view or contribution sections. By clicking on the article, you can see them and down load them. You should then read the article and answer the questions and write the review. Be sure you include the title of the paper you read for some of the questions.
~~~For this or similar assignment papers~~~