The Spirit of American Politics
- Explain the meaning of a constitution and its role in American politics (40).
The Colonial Roots of the Constitution
- Describe the colonial roots of the constitution (40-2)
Why the Colonists Revolted
- Describe the political context and the issue of representation during the colonial period. (42-3)
- Describe the significance of the Stamp Act and the Townshend Act (44-5).
- Describe the significance of the Boston Tea Party and the outbreak of revolution. (45-6).
The Declaration of Independence
- Describe the ideas of the Declaration of Independence and its list of grievances (47-8).
The First American Government: The Articles of Confederation
- Explain what a confederation is and describe how the Articles of Confederation structured government (49-50).
- What were some of the problems with the Articles of Confederation? (50-1).
- Explain the reasons for the rise of Shay’s Rebellion and how it impacted some of the Framers of the constitution (50-1).
- Explain how and why the Constitutional Convention was formed in secrecy (51-2).
The Constitutional Convention
- What were the debates in the Constitutional Convention concerning how much power should be retained by the people (53).
- Describe the meaning and function of federalism (54).
- Explain proposals of the Virginia Plan and New Jersey Plan, as well as the compromise, at the Constitutional Convention (54-6).
- Explain the reasons why the framers created an Electoral College to elect the President (56-7).
- Explain the significance and function of the separation of powers (57-8).
- Explain the issue of slavery at the Constitutional Convention and the meaning of the three-fifths compromise (60-2).
Overview of the Constitution
- Explain the significance of the Preamble. (63)
- Describe the function and powers of Article 1 of the Constitution (63-4).
- Describe the function and powers of Article 2 of the Constitution (64-5).
- Describe the function and powers of Article 3 of the Constitution (65).
- Describe the function of Article 4 of the Constitution (65-6).
- Describe the function Article 5-7 of the Constitution (66).
- What were the debates between the Federalist and Anti-Federalists? (67-8).
- How did the issue of a Bill of Rights impact the ratification of the Constitution? (69-70).
- Explain the significance of the Bill of Rights and the other seventeen amendments in Constitution (72-3).
- How should we interpret the Constitution today? Explain the notions of originalism and pragmatism with respect to constitutional interpretation (72-4).